Monday 28 June 2010

Evaluation

My music video I did think suited the genre of the music (rock) because although it was an old song, I decided to set it in the present day but it still had that style of the 60’s rock decade. I think because of when the song was made, music videos were not invented but it suited the song because it had no lyrics and it was a bizarre yet entertaining song, so I could be experimental with it. I feel the video was similar to a mix of videos and also keeps that authentic feel about it with some particular scenes (such as the banana) but with the similarities, the shot with Chidera looking menacing does look very urban and 90’s which relives the “coolness” that videos had in that decade.

Card games are involved in some videos however I stole that card game feel from Sean Connery Bond films which was also made in the 60’s and just knew this would work as the song was also made in 1962-the same year Dr No was made.

I think that the rest of the video was completely original as it was very random, however it still suited the music by the way I edited it and it told the narrative by the way I edited it e.g. The shot of the joker card I used mixing that shot and the shot of Chidera about three times to tell the audience that Chidera is the joker, here I think I achieved this and thought this was a really good way to story tell. I then decided to use this idea continually throughout the video.

The most bizarre moment of the video was the banana scene; there might be a few red herrings as to why this was included in the video that I’m eating a banana due to the song being called Green Onions. However this was used because the banana was a gun and the fact that it is a bizarre game says that is a fruit as well as a gun, and because the video included me eating it enthusiastically was because I was eating in celebration. I was though, going to use two cap guns or water pistols as the weapons; however the ban of using replica guns turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I don’t think it was similar to other videos in some respect but there were some influences such as the James Bond idea and the use of the card game being like a tarot reading which also relates to a character in Live and Let Die being the tarot reader. The film was made in 1973 which is not far enough to when the song was made and the film throughout used quick zooms and angles which is similar to my editing.

The concept is used when the card says “dance” and then the use of the dancing with a psychedelic background but it is also includes some performance based because of the actual dancing. The narrative is simple-I’m in the game and have to escape the dangers and also follow the orders the cards says. In some feedback people said it was like a video game, which it is like because of the “winner”. The game is based around true reality and virtual reality but it is actually reality.

I asked people questions whether they understood the music video, one said “not really” however that person was the only one that said this, I think with some people in an audience that would watch this would require a second viewing to understand it, which I would take as a positive because then he/she would watch it again and understand it and therefore enjoy the video which everyone said they did.

I asked everyone in a survey what they didn’t like about the video, one said the red background and the rest of me in black and white. I was very surprised by this criticism because I thought it recaptured the 60’s with the burgundy colour and I thought this was very stylish. Most did say the banana scene and this scene is where people laughed at which this was the reaction I was hoping for but feel they didn’t like it because it was the strangest scene of all.

I then asked what everyone liked about the video, most did say the green screen with the dancer, I agree that this was very good and this was the most memorable scene in the way it suited the song and the decade it was made by the groovy colours that was used with the pattern that I simply found on Google images and edited the colours on Avid with some backgrounds I went on paint on the computer and chose some colours by using the fill bucket and tried to do my own designs but I thought the patterns I did were too naff. However I also feel the best bit of the video was the “linking the cards as establishments for the main action” as one person said.

The last question that was did you like the video? And all said yes which I was very happy with. With this concept/narrative based video, I wanted the audience to be simply entertained by the video and to entertain a younger audience (late teens) to enjoy a song which is 48 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment